Whiting Family

grandparents tintype

Tintype of William C and Carolyn Whiting

grandma whitingback of cdv

CDV of Carolyn Whiting

whiting1

Large cabinet card of William C and Caroline(Lawton) Whiting with Grand children Lillian,Mabel and Grace

scan0525

William w/ Grand Children

scan0518  scan0520

Volney C Whiting and wife Annie Elizabeth (Alexander)

Lillian Whiting tintype  back of tintype

scan0508scan0509

The Tintype is of Daughter Lillian,I believe the CDV to be her as well

From A history of Montana Volume 2

VoLNEY C. Whiting, a well-known and highly repre-
sentative citizen now
living retired at Whitehall, Jeffer-
son county, has been a resident of the
state of Montana
for nearly a third of a century. Mr. Whiting was born

February 13, 1852, at Lockport, New York, the son of
William C. and Caroline (Lawton) Whiting. The
father was a shoemaker by occupation and in
1854 came west from New York, stopping for a short while in
the state of Michigan, and thence to Pardeeville, Columbia county,

Wisconsin. He enlisted in 1864 in Company
E, Second Wisconsin Cavalry, and was taken
prisonerand confined in a Mississippi prison. His health

became impaired as a result of the prison life, and so continued
tmtil his death, though he lived to an advanced age,
and died at Stillwater,Minnesota.

Volney C. Whiting went to work as a wage earner
at the early age of fourteen years, and thus received
tut a very meager education,attending school two
winters only after he reached that age. _ He was

employed as a farm laborer until his marriage, after
which for threeyears he conducted a farm on shares in
Columbia county, Wisconsin.In the spring of 1880 Mr. Whiting was one of a party
of five toleave the village of Poynette, Wisconsin, for
Montana, one member of theparty being his brother-
in-law. William J. Alexander, now of Whitehall. The

party made the trip up the Missouri river to Fort Ben-
ton, and thenceby wagons, with their household goods,
to Butte, via Deer Lodge. Theyarrived in Butte in
June, 1880. and there Mr. Whiting at once engaged in

teaming, in which business he enjoyed a pleasing meas-
ure of success.On May 28, 1884, in company with Mr.
Alexander, previously referred to, they engaged in a
grocery venture, with establishment located at 64 West
Park street, in Butte, doing business under the • firm
name of Whiting & Alexander. The new firm pros-
pered from the start, and they built up an
enviable repu-tation for integrity and reliable business
dealings. Forfifteen years the business was continued here, when
theydisposed of it and removed to the T. T. Black
ranch in the South BoulderValley in Madison county,
twelve miles from Whitehall, which ranch the firm
hadacquired several years previous. Here the firm of
Whiting &Alexander became extensively engaged in
the raising of vegetables, berries
and small fruits of alldescriptions, their products being disposed of in
theButte market and acquiring a high standard of excel-
lence, atribute to the knowledge and reliability of the
individual mernbers of thefirm.

Messrs. Whiting and Alexander continued success-
fully tooperate their ranch, which they had enlarged
from time to time, until in October, 191 1, it consisted of
1,643 acres, when they disposed of it. Mr.
Whitingpurchased property in Whitehall and has there erected
a finehome, and is engaged in looking after his private
interests. For a number of
years he has also been successfully engaged in mining operations in Silver
Bow, Deer Lodge and Madison counties.

In^ 1876 Mr. Whiting was married in Poynette, Wis-
consin, to Annie E. Alexander, only daughter born
toJohn and Mary (Cutsforth) Alexander, and a sister of
William J.Alexander, of Whitehall. Mr. and Mrs.
Whiting have three daughters, as
follows: Lillian M.,married to George Wotoring. a merchant, and residents

of Boise, Idaho. They have two daughters,— Elizabeth
and Margaret. Mabel C. is the wife of Alexander Hus-
band, and they reside at Tooele, Utah,where ilr. Hus-
band holds the responsible position of cashier of the

International Smelting and Refining Company. Grace
P., the thirddaughter, is the wife of Major W. Smith,
of the well known real estate firmof Wilson, Smith &
Company, of Butte. They have two children, Volneyand Woolridge.

Mr. Whiting is a Republican in politics, but not astrict partisan,

voting for the men and measures that
he deems best,regardless of party affiliations. He is a
member of Butte Lodge, No. 22, A.F. & A. M., of the
chapter, council and commandery at Butte and of Alge-ria Temple of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine at
Helena.

Mr. Whiting is a self-made man in the very finest
usage of the term. He hasknown reverses of fortune,
and from a small beginning built up a flourishing
business, the manipulation of which, as a result of his excel-
lent business methods, his unfailing acumen and splen-
did judgment, has won hima competency and enabled
him to retire at middle age and enjoy the fruits of
his labors.

William J. Alexander. For upwards of a third of
acentury William J. Alexander has been a resident of
Montana, and his lifewas one of ceaseless activity until
October, 191 1, when he withdrew frommore active
business interests and is now living retired at White-
hall,Jefferson county, where he is numbered among
the well known and substantialcitizens.

Mr. Alexander was born in Sandusky county, Ohio,
near whatis now the city of Bellevue. on April 12,
1853. He is a son of John and Mary
J. (Cutsforth)Alexander, the father being a native of Sandusky county,

Ohio, while his grandfather was a Pennsylvania Ger-
man, and a pioneerof that section of the Buckeye state
settled largely by Pennsylvanians.

When William J. Alexander was but a small boy his
parents removed toThree Rivers, Michigan, and soon
afterward his father enlisted at Burr Oak.Michigan, as
a private in a Michigan regiment of infantry. He was
takenprisoner in the south and confined in a Salisbury,
North Carolina, prison,and died there. His widow later
in life married Robert Tomlinson, and died
in Butte, onMarch 12, 1912, at the age of eighty-one years. Two children were born to Mr. and INIrs. John Alexander.

1118

HISTORY OF MONTANA

The elder was William J., and
the other, Annie E., is
now the wife of Volney C. Whiting, of Whitehall.

William J. Alexander was twelve years old when his
mother took up
her home at Poynette, Columbia county,
Wisconsin, and as soon as he was able
he went to woi;k
that he might contribute to the support of the family.

His educational advantages were of necessity of a lim-
ited order, but
he thoroughly learned the invaluable
lesson of industry and self reliance,
as well as the full
value of a dollar. He continued as a farm laborer

until his marriage, after which he resided on rented
farms in the
vicinity of Poynette, Wisconsin, until the
spring of 1880, when he came to
Montana as one of a
party that included among other men Volney C. Whit-

ing, his brother-in-law. Their destination was Butte,
where a brother of
Mrs. Alexander, W. H. Young, was
residing. The trip to Montana was made up
the Mis-
souri river to Fort Benton, and thence to Butte by way
of Deer
Lodge, and Mr. Alexander’s sole possessions
consisted of his household
goods, three horses and a
wagon. He arrived at Butte in June, 1880, and
imme-
diately engaged at teaming, which he continued for
four years. He
then became interested in mercantile
lines, on May 28, 1884, entering into a
partnership with
Volney C. Whiting. They conducted a grocery busi-
ness
at 64. West Park street, in Butte, under the firm
name of Whiting &
Alexander, and this partnership has
continued to the present day. While the
line of busi-
ness has changed, it has always sustained its well earned

reputation for strictly honorable business methods, and
the partners are
widely known for men of substance
and the highest integrity. Their business
relations have
ever been most cordial and each has found in the other

those qualities that have contributed to the formation
of a bond of
deepest friendship and regard. Mr. Alex-
ander has been for many years
successfully interested in
mining operations in Silver Bow, Deer Lodge and

Madison counties. In 1912 he erected a handsome home
in Whitehall, on
property adjoining that of Mr. Whit-
ing.

Mr. Alexander was married
in Poynette, Wisconsm,
to Ella Young, of that place. She died in Butte on

Mav 24, 1884, the mother of four children, the first of
whom died in
infancy. The son, John W., who is
engaged in the ranching business near
Pony, Montana,
married Ella Rundell, and they have two daughters.
Martha
A. Alexander, the third child, died at the age
of twenty years, and Ella
also died young. In Febru-
ary, 1893, Mr. Alexander contracted, in Butte, a
second
marriage, when Martha, the daughter of Rev. Slator C.
Blackiston,
of Butte, became his wife. Rev. Blackiston
was for many years rector of St.
John’s Episcopal
church of Butte, and the family is one of prominence

and popularity in that city. Three children have been
born to this
second union. Edward Blackiston, the
eldest, attended the public schools of
Butte, and was
graduated from the Houston School for Boys at Spo-
kane,
Washington, in 1912. The others are Nanruth
and Margaret William.

Mr. Alexander is a Republican in national issues, but
locally is not
bound by party ties and makes it a poirit
to support the best men and
issues. Fraternally he is
a member of Butte Lodge, No. 22, A. F. & A. M.
He
is a member of the chapter, council and commandery,
and has taken the
thirty-second degree in the Scottish
Rite. He is also a member of Algeria
Temple of the
Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic
Shrine at
Helena. Mr. and Mrs. Alexander and their
two oldest children are members of
the Episcopal
church.

It is obvious to all that Mr. Alexander’s
splendid suc-
cess has been the results of his own well directed efforts,

and like his relative and long-time business associate,
Mr. Whiting, is
enjoying a competence acquired by
industry, economy, fair dealing? and good
business
judgment.

WiLLi,\M J. Johnson. Anaconda has one of
its most
prosperous and public-spirited citizens in the person
of Mr.
Johnson, who is the founder and active head
of the firm of Johnson &
Tuchsherer, the only whole-
sale liquor house in this city. His business
career had
a humble beginning as water boy for a railroad labor
crew,
and from that he has progressed and built up a
very creditable success.

VVilliam J. Johnson was born at Oswego, New York,
October 21, 1S62.
His parents were Christopher and
Catharine (Gwin) Johnson, and his father
was a na-
tive of Ireland and came as a boy to America, settling
at
Oswego, where he became identified with the Oswego
Starch Works, the largest
of the kind in the world,
and was an officer in the company when he died- in

igoo. The mother was a native of Kingston, New
York, and she is also
deceased. William J. was one of
six children, the other five being: Anna,
widow of
William Hartnett, of Oswego, John and Alice, de-
ceased ;
Thomas, of Oswego ; and Catharine, wife of
Leo LaSalle, of Anaconda.

At his native city of Oswego Mr. Johnson spent the
first fifteen years of his life principally in attending the
public schools. Then as water
boy for a railroad gang
he began earning his own way, and for five years
fol-
lowed railroading in various capacities. He then came
to Montana,
and entered the employ of his uncle, Wil-
liam P. Gwin, who had a livery
business at Butte,
and in 1884 was taken in as partner. Mr. Johnson,

after selling his interests at Butte, became a resident
of Anaconda in
1888. and for nearly twenty-five years
has been identified with this city in
increasing busi-
ness and civic capacities. He first established a retail

liquor store, and has developed this into the only
wholesale house of
the kind in Anaconda.

He enjoys a large acquaintance and friendship
among
the prominent men of the state and for a number of
years has taken
an active share in the affairs of his
home city. For two terms he served as
alderman, and
in 1908 was elected on the Democratic ticket for the

office of county commissioner, which he still occupies.
In 1912 he was a
delegate to the Democratic national
convention at Baltimore, and supported
Champ Clark,
for whom the Montana “delegation was instructed, for
45
ballots or until the nomination of Mr. Wilson was
made unanimous. His home
is one of the finest in
the city, and he owns other valuable real estate.
Mr.
Johnson was married at Butte, January 8, 1888. to Miss
Maud
Teitsworth, who was born in Wisconsin. They
are the parents of three
children. Edward C. Anna
Maud and Alice Maud. The family have membership

in the Catholic church.

Edg-\r B. Heagy, who occupies a
representative posi-
tion among the business men of Anaconda, Montana,

where he owns and operates a meat market, is by na-
tivity a Hoosier but
has spent practically his whole life
in Montana and is unswervingly loyal to
it. Its pro-
gressiveness, large opportunities, the energy it irnparts

to endeavor and the recognition it gives to merit are
some of the
characteristics of the state which to Mr.
Heagy give it prestige above all
others.

At Anderson, Indiana, on the 20th of January. 1872,
Edgar B.
Heagy was born to George Heagy and his
wife, Martha Mallory. The father was
also born in
Indiana, was a farmer by occupation, and died in his
native
state in 1874, when Edgar B. was but two years
old. He is interred at the
citv of Anderson, One other
child, a daughter younger than Edgar, had been
born
to this union but is now deceased. In 1880. when but
eight years
old. Mr. Heagy accompanied his mother
to Montana, settling in Deer Lodge
valley, about seven
miles from Anaconda, but in 1890 they removed to An-

aconda, and there the niother passed away in 1892,
when forty years of
age. She was buried at Ana-
conda.

Advertisements

Man in Masonic Regalia

Man wearing Masonic regalia

The glass was pretty cloudy when I found this.I pulled the tintype from its case and lighly brushed it,washed the glass and removed loose particles from the case .There was bleeding of the copper frame onto the tintype so when I replaced it in its case I placed the glass on top of the tintype.Not sure what is worse over time glass or copper?? Late 1850s-early 1860s

   mason case DSCF4594

Jesse Darlingtons letter to Walker Y Wells December 22 1862 Fairfax Station,Virginia

SCAN0615

scan0282

scan0283

scan0284

Jesse Darlington and Walker Y Wells were Privates in the the 124th Regiment Penslyvania Volunteers Company D
He Enlisted August 9 1862 and Mustered out on May 15 1863

http://www.pa-roots.com/pacw/infantry/124th/124thorg.html

124th Infantry Regiment
Pennsylvania Volunteers

Seven companies of the One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Regiment, A, C, E, F, G, I, and K, were recruited in Chester county, and three B, D, and H, in Delaware. They rendezvoused at Camp Curtin, near Harrisburg, but before an organization could be effected, they were ordered to Washington, and proceeded thither on the 12th of August, 1862, under command of the senior Captain, Joseph W. Hawley. Upon their arrival, they went into camp near Fort Albany, two miles south-east of the Capital, and on the 17th a regimental organization was effected, with the following field officers:
Joseph W. Hawley, of Chester county, Colonel
Simon Litzenberg, of Delaware county, Lieutenant Colonel
I. Law. Haldeman, of Delaware county, Major
On the 7th of September the regiment was ordered to Rockville, Maryland, where, upon its arrival, it was assigned to the First Brigade, First Division, of the Eleventh Corps. Having been but a little more than three weeks recruited, and most of this time having been given to change of camps requiring heavy details for fatigue duty, little attention had been given to drill, when, on the afternoon of the 9th, it was ordered upon the march to meet the enemy.
Crossing South Mountain on the evening of the 15th, it followed up the retreating foe to the banks of the Antietam Creek, where he was found strongly posted. As the regiment moved rapidly in advance of the trains, rations in haversack soon became exhausted. Fresh beef was delivered during the evening of the 16th, but scarcely had it been received when the regiment was ordered into line, and moved rapidly to the support of General Hooker, in command of the right wing of the army.

” It was ordered to the front,” says Major Haldeman in his official report,'” at seven A. M. On reaching the extreme edge of the woods on the east side of the corn-field, our line was formed and stationed in a position behind the fence. We were then ordered to advance, our right extending across the road, and beyond the grain-stacks. We were led in line into the corn-field about twenty paces, and ordered to halt, as we could not distinguish our own troops. We were then ordered to fall back to the edge of the corn-field, and takle position again behind the fence, which was done in good order. We were again ordered to advance, when the right, after proceeding about one hundred yards, received a raking fire fiom the enemy in the woods, which was responded to by repeated volleys from our men; but the fire from our left, and from a battery of the enemy on the right, compelled us again to fall back to the stacks. A battery was now pla ted on the hill, between the wood and the corn-field, opposite the stacks, and the right wing of the regiment was ordered to its support. The left wing followed up the advance through the corn-field making successful charges upon the enemy, until it was also ordered to the support of the batteries. The enemy’s guns were silenced, and at three P. M., the regiment was ordered to the rear, where it was directed by General Hancock to remain in readiness to support batteries upon the right; but not being required, it bivouacked upon the field during the night.”

The loss in this engagement was fifty in killed and wounded. Lieutenant Isaac Finch received a mortal wound from which he died on the 20th of October. Colonel Hawley was among the wounded.
On the day following the battle, the regiment was employed in burying the dead, and on the 19th started for Pleasant Valley, reaching it on the 20th, after a severe march. It was subsequently posted on Maryland Heights, but again returned to its old camp at Pleasant Valley, where it was transferred to a brigade commanded by General Kane. On the 30th of October, Kane’s Brigade was ordered to London Heights.

On the 8th of November a reconnoissance was made, up the valley, by a detachment of the regiment consisting of one hundred men, with two pieces of artillery, which returned at daylight on the following morning, bringing in abandoned stores of the enemy. In consequence of the alarm of the pickets on the mountain, on the night of the 16th, the regiment was ordered, with a portion of the brigade, to the support of a battery posted thereon, remaining until the 19th. The heavy guns which had been mounted on Maryland Heights, sufficiently commanding the position, the garrison was relieved and returned to camp. Whilst here, drill and discipline were studiously prosecuted.

On the 10th of December, upon the eve of the movement upon Fredericksburg, the Twelfth Corps, which had been held in the neighborhood of Harper’s Ferry, was ordered forward, and by forced marches over almost impassable roads and swollen streams, in the bleak wintry weather, arrived across the Occoquan on the 15th. The fighting at Fredericksburg being over, it was ordered to re-cross the Occoquan on the 17th, the regiment returning to Fairfax Station.

On the 28th it was again put upon the march to meet Stuart’s Cavalry, but failed to find it. On the 8th of January, the brigade made a reconnoissance to the vicinity of Wolf’s Run Shoals, returning without encountering opposition. On the 19th the brigade again broke camp and crossing the Occoquan, joined with the army in Burnside’s second campaign, and after toiling painfully through the mud and under drenching rains, the trains and artillery being moved only by the most vigorous efforts, it finally rested at Stafford Court House, the campaign having been abandoned.

On the 21st of March, the One Hundred and Twenty-fourth, and the One Hundred and Twenty-fifth, which had been brigaded with it, were transferred to Geary’s Division of the Twelfth Corps, General Kane being transferred with them, and taking command of the brigade to which they were assigned.

At daylight of the 27th of April, the regiment, with eight days’ rations, marched on the Chancellorsville campaign. Crossing the Rappahannock in rear of the Eleventh Corps, the Twelfth moved on to Germania Ford, where its progress was impeded by the troops in advance, and did not reach the Chancellor House until three P. M., of the 30th. Line of battle was immediately formed, the position of the regiment falling in the right wing of the corps.

On the following morning, May 1st, the brigade advanced, and soon encountered the enemy’s pickets, pushing them back into the woods beyond. Having attained a position considerably in advance of the main line, its safety was much endangered by a flank movement of the enemy, and it was withdrawn to the original position of the previous evening, where, during the night, it was busily employed in throwing up breast-works, being compelled for want of intrenching tools to use bayonets and tin plates. During the early part of the following day, the enemy shelled the line at intervals, and at three P. M., the brigade was again ordered to advance, the regiment moving along the Fredericksburg Plank Road, and forming line of battle in the woods, where the enemy, concealed from view, had fortified. Unable to move him from his position, the brigade fell back, and at five returned to the breastworks, reaching them just as the broken troops of the Eleventh Corps came pouring in from the extreme right. Geary’s Division was at once faced under a heavy artillery fire of the enemy, to meet the threatened storm, and succeeded in holding its position until ten on the morning of the 3d, when the enemy, having outflanked it on the right, compelled it to fall back to a second line of defense which had been taken up, more contracted, and easily held.

On the 6th the regiment re-crossed the river, and returned to its camp at Acquia. On the 9th, the term of service having expired, it was relieved from duty, and returned to Harrisburg, where, on the 16th, it was mustered out of service.

Source: Bates, Samuel P. History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-65, Harrisburg, 1868-1871.

Organization:
Organized at Harrisburg August, 1862.
Left State for Washington, D.C., August 12.
Camp near Fort Albany, Defences of Washington, till September 7.
March to Rockville, Md., and attached to 1st Brigade, 1st Division,
12th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to October, 1862.
2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Army Corps, to January, 1863.
2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 12th Army Corps, to May, 1863.

Service:
Maryland Campaign September 7-24.
Battle of Antietam, Md., September 16-17.
Burying dead September 18.
March to Pleasant Valley, Md., September 19-20.
At Maryland Heights till October 30.
At Loudon Heights till November 8.
Reconnoissance up the Shenandoah Valley November 8-19.
Near Harper’s Ferry till December 10.
March to Fredericksburg, Va., December 10-15; thence to Fairfax Station.
Burnside’s 2nd Campaign, “Mud March,” January 20-24, 1863.
At Stafford Court House till April 27.
Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.
Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5.
Ordered to Harrisburg, Pa., and there mustered out May 16, 1863.

Losses:
Regiment lost during service:
1 Officer and 17 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded
and 36 Enlisted men by disease.

Total 54.

Source:

Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Compiled and Arranged from Official Records of the Federal and Confederate Armies, Reports of he Adjutant Generals of the Several States, the Army Registers, and Other Reliable Documents and Sources.Des Moines, Iowa: The Dyer Publishing Company, 1908